THE BROKEN POT.























Plants and Flowers bring so much beauty to every space they enter, big or small, indoor or outdoor. I have a great passion for gardening and landscaping and, for some plants I have a special affection. The “Elephant’s Foot Plant” (Beaucarnea recurvata) is one of those passions. Common names: Pony Tail Palm; Bottle Palm; Nolina Palm. The Beaucarnea recurvata is a species of plant Family: Asparagaceae and the Genus: Beaucarnea. It is a shrub with semi-woody texture and sculptural aspect. Although it resembles the palm tree the elephant foot is not a true palm tree. It is considered a shrub or tree which can reach about 5 feet tall when adult. Its trunk is very ornamental, usually single with dilated base for storing water, an adaptation to survive long periods of drought. Its leaves are very beautiful with a hairy appearance and arranged is dense tufts at the ends of the branch. It shoud be grown in full sun and fertile soil. The elephant’s foot plants are very successful as an ornamental plant and in landscaping, creating a highlight in the garden. It is native to the dry regions of Texas and Mexico (here). There are 350-years-old Beaucarneas registered in Mexico (here).






















In the year 2014 I bought a small seedling of elephant’s foot plant. In fact, I still had no idea where could I plant it. In the frontal part of my house I just have a very small front yard garden. So, the solution was to plant it in a pot. Therefore, I went a flower shop and bought a white painted cement pot. I prepared the pot and planted my elephant foot molt. The place I chose to put the pot was in the entrance and next to the stairs to the house. The exotic beauty of the plant gave a special highlight to my house.






































Over the years my plant has been growing and getting more beautiful day by day. In Brazil the beginning of summer 2018/2019 was on December 21, 2018 and ended on March 20, 2019. Throught that time I stayed at my beach house (here). At the end of March when I returned from my trip and arrived at my house in Curitiba (here), I had a great and unpleasant surprise: “The pot with my elephant’s foot plant was broken”. At first I even thought of a possible act of vandalism but looking closely I realized that my plant had grown too large and broken the pot.
















In fact, my elefant’s foot plant grew so much that its roots broken the pot.

























The solution was to change the plant to a new pot. So, I went to a specialized shop and bought a terracota pot. Due to the wide variety of models it was difficult to choose the ideal pot. Finally, I chose and bought a pot. Next, I returned home and went to work.....LET’S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS!!!





































In fact, my elephant foot was a extremely root bounded plant. First off, I’ve found that root bound plants are often dehydrated plants, because the pots are mostly full of roots, making the soil hard and water repellent. So, got a hammer and broke the pot even more. In the above picture a close-up of a group of herbs rooted in disorderly tangle in the soil, which was taken from the pot. (here).























To make things worse, I found that I couldn’t simply work the roots apart with my fingers because they’ve formed a sort of impervious mat. In this case, I have to be ruthless. Next, I got a sharp knife and make long vertical cuts down the sides of the root ball. I also used scissors to cut the roots. These cuts do violence to the roots, but will allow new root growth at the cut sites, givinng the plant a chance to spread its roots out in the new pot (here).




























After cleaning, I began to prepare the pot. I put a drainage fleece in the botton of the pot, then a layer of pebbles, plus a layer of drainage fleece. Next, I prepared the soil using mixed sand and rich soil. I replanted my elephant’s foot plant and covered the soil with a new layer of drainage fleece. Finally, I completed my work by making a white stone cover. The pot looked beautiful and the plant visibly invigorated.


I had a real fright!!!
Gave me a lot of work.
The whole experience was joyful!!!
I'll be back soon.




Em português (in portuguese).

O VASO QUEBRADO.

Plantas e Flores trazem tanta beleza a qualquer espaço que estejam, seja ele grande ou pequeno, interior ou exterior. Tenho uma grande paixão por jardinagem e paisagismo e, por algumas plantas, tenho um carinho especial. A planta “Pata de Elefante” (Beaucarnea recurvata) é uma dessas paixões. A Beaucarnea recurvata é uma espécie de planta da Família: Asparagaceae e do Gênero: Beaucarnea. É uma planta arbustiva, de textura semi-lenhosa e aspecto escultural. Apesar de se assemelhar com as palmeiras, a pata de elefante não é uma palmeira verdadeira. Ela é considerada um arbusto ou arvoreta, que pode alcançar cerca de 5 metros de altura quando adulta. Seu tronco é muito ornamental, geralmente único com a base dilatada, para o armazenamento de água. Uma adaptação para sobreviver a longos períodos de estiagem. Suas folhas são muito belas, com um aspecto de cabeleira, dispostas em densos tufos nas extremidades do ramo. Deve ser cultivada em sol pleno e solo fértil. As Patas de Elefante fazem muito sucesso como planta ornamental e em paisagismo, criando ponto de destaque no jardim. É uma espécie nativa da América do Norte e México (aqui). No México há registros de Beaucarneas com 350 anos de idade (aqui).

No ano de 2014 comprei uma pequena muda desta planta. Na verdade, eu ainda não sabia aonde plantá-la. Na frente da minha casa tenho apenas um pequeno jardim. Assim, a solução foi a de plantá-la em um vaso. Meu próximo passo foi de ir até uma floricultura e comprar um vaso de cimento pintado de branco. Preparei o vaso e plantei minha muda de pata de elefante. O lugar que escolhi para colocar o vaso foi na entrada e ao lado da escada de acesso à casa. A beleza exótica da planta, deu um destaque especial a minha casa.

Com o passar dos anos, minha planta foi crescendo e ficando cada dia mais linda. No Brasil o início do verão 2018/2019 ocorreu em 21 de dezembro de 2018 e terminou em 20 de março de 2019. Ao longo desse tempo fiquei em minha casa de praia (aqui). Ao final de março ao retornar da minha viagem e chegar em minha casa em Curitiba (aqui), tive uma grande e desagradável surpresa:” o vaso com minha pata de elefante estava quebrado”. Num primeiro momento cheguei até a pensar em um possível ato de vandalismo, mas olhando mais de perto, percebi que minha planta havia crescido demais e quebrado o vaso.

Na verdade, minha pata de elefante cresceu tanto que suas raízes ocuparam todo o espaço do vaso e, literalmente, estouraram o vaso.

A solução era a troca de vaso. Fui até uma loja especializada e comprei um vaso em cerâmica e com um maior volume de capacidade. Devido a grande variedade de modelos, foi difícil escolher o vaso ideal. Finalmente, escolhi e comprei um vaso. Voltei para casa e fui ao trabalho....MÃOS A OBRA!!!

Na verdade, a minha pata de elefante estava firmemente aderida ao vaso. Antes de mais nada, encontrei que um emaranhado de raízes é uma indicação de planta desidratada pois os vasos cheios de raízes tornam o solo duro e repelente a água. Assim peguei um martelo a quebrei o restante do vaso. Na foto acima, vemos claramente as raízes desordenadamente emaranhadas e, assim foi removida do vaso (aqui).

Para piorar ainda mais a situação, percebi que não poderia simplesmente limpar as raízes com os meus dedos porque elas haviam formado um grande torrão. Neste caso, tive de ser implacável. Precisei pegar uma faca afiada e fazer cortes no sentido vertical ao longo da bola de raízes. Também usei tesoura para cortar as raízes. Certamente, estes cortes são uma violência para as raízes, mas irão permitir que novas raízes surjam e a planta possa se desenvolver ainda mais no novo vaso (aqui).

Feita a limpeza, iniciei o preparo do vaso. Coloquei no fundo do vaso uma manta de drenagem, depois uma camada de seixos, mais uma camada de manta de drenagem. Em seguida, preparei o solo usando areia e terra adubada misturadas. Replantei minha pata de elefante e recobri a terra com uma nova camada de manta de drenagem. Finalmente, completei o acabamento fazendo uma cobertura com pedras brancas. O vaso ficou lindo e a planta visivelmente revigorada.


Foi um grande susto!!!
Deu um grande trabalho.
Toda experiência foi alegria!!!
Volto breve.